The challenge. Cloud migrations can often result in non-compliance of existing IT supplier contracts and software licenses.
The reality. Suppliers will tout Bring Your Own Licensing (BYOL) as a cost benefit, but the onus of maintaining contract compliance always remains with the customer.
- Contracts – not authored with cloud in mind; most require modernization
- Licensing – rules and counting metrics are subject to change in the cloud
- Proliferation – software installs can rapidly grow beyond entitlements without cloud governance
- Tracking – SAM tools aren’t setup to track public cloud vendor deployments
- Compliance – customer remains accountable for its licensing position; cloud audits are coming
The Impact. Being unprepared for your cloud migration can run the risk of violating licensing rights, grants and current entitlements — resulting in significant fees potentially owned to vendors.